The height of stupidity? Mother defends rock climbing with TODDLER strapped to her back

By TED THORNHILL

Elf and safety: Menna Pritchard has defended her decision to rock climb with two-year-old daughter Ffion strapped to her back

A single mum with a love of adrenaline sports has defended her decision to go rock climbing - with her toddler daughter strapped to her back without a helmet on.
Menna Pritchard, 26 - who stated brazenly that ‘life is about taking risks’ - scales sheer rock faces while carrying two-year-old Ffion.
The full-time student - studying for a degree in outdoor education - said yesterday: ‘Some people would say I’m taking more risks than are necessary, but I am very conscious of safety and I would never do anything with Ffion that I thought would put her in danger.’

Picturesque: Three Cliffs Bay is stunning, but is it the sort of place to go rock climbing with your toddler strapped to your back?

Menna split with Ffion’s dad when she was three months pregnant and moved to Wales to live with her parents.
She studies at Trinity St David in Carmarthen and works part time as an outdoor instructor while juggling her job and education with her love of adventure sports.
She said: ‘Rock climbing, kayaking and canoeing are all fairly new to me in the last two years but I feel I am in my element.

Adventures: Pritchard says that she hopes the trips will inspire her daughter

‘The idea is that’s it’s fun and exciting for Ffion too and hopefully I am inspiring her and giving her access to the outdoors.
‘Ever since Ffion was born I have been either trying to do mountain climbing with her or forest walking or doing beach trips.
‘It just felt so good, not only for my physical wellbeing but also for my state of mind.’

All smiles: Pritchard is studying outdoor education

Menna said: ‘I can appreciate if you didn’t realise how safe the environment I was in, it could be worrying, but I was top-roping which means if you fall you don’t fall any further than where you came off.
‘It is the safest form of climbing you can do. I was also in a beach environment surrounded by experienced climbers.
‘Health and safety legislation and the sue and blame culture mean so many people are nervous, so afraid of getting into trouble, and taking small risks.
‘Life is all about risks, whether that’s something as simple as getting in your car every day or climbing up a rock face.’

source: dailymail

0 comments:

Post a Comment